Top 6 Ways to Keep Remote Workers Engaged…and Compliant

[+ Real Biz Shorts videos from Second City Works]

Review the six things you can do right now to build a supportive, engaged, and compliant remote workplace culture.

In an effort to slow down the spread of COVID-19, many companies quickly transitioned to an all-remote working environment – a new scenario marked by challenges for employees and employers alike.

The majority of employees are working from home for the first time and are struggling to maintain healthy boundaries between their professional and personal lives. With so much disruption, distraction and uncertainty, many are vulnerable to less than stellar workplace behavior and in some cases, compliance failures.

With limited face-to-face human interaction and in-person training, companies are relying on digital communication and micro-learning to distribute key business messages in a consistent manner. And research shows that if you sprinkle in some much-needed levity, you increase the probability of people remembering and internalizing the information.

With the help of some videos from our Real Biz Shorts E&C digital library, here are six things you can do right now to build a supportive, engaged, and compliant remote workplace culture.

1. Check-in

Employees unaccustomed to the demands of remote work can lose enthusiasm and suffer from loneliness. It’s not about the amount of time that you spend together in virtual meetings, but the quality of the connection that makes the difference. Have shorter, more frequent check-ins with your team to make sure they are feeling supported professionally and know you care personally.

2. Over-communicate

During times of rapid change and uncertainty, gossip will naturally increase due to fear and anticipated negative outcomes. And for remote workers who may feel disconnected, the anxiety can be exponentially worse. Be transparent and over-communicate. Share pertinent information in a timely and effective manner.

3. Keep info secure

Switching to full-time remote working environments with little preparation can create cybersecurity vulnerabilities for employers and employees. One security solutions company found a 30% increase in cyber-attacks over the first two weeks of May, many of which involved email scams. Make sure your people are aware of the many threats and potential security breaches.

4. Think before you send

One study showed that 76% of us have misinterpreted an email or instant message. (And the other 24% were lying.) When email communication increases, the likelihood of misinterpreting tone does as well. For remote workers, email messages and texts can sometimes feel very emotionally confusing and anxiety-provoking. Before sending that hastily written email or posting a rant online, consider the possible ramifications of the ill-conceived communication.

5. Think before you post

With social media sites and personal blogs available at virtually every employee’s fingertips, the risk of over-sharing is high. It is imperative to educate employees on the many risks and legal ramifications of posting confidential business information online.

6. Keep it professional

When you work from home every day the lines between your personal and professional lives can begin to blur. Whether it’s a virtual meeting or a conference call, remember to avoid blunders that strike others as rude, unprofessional or even offensive. Be aware and mindful of what’s visible to others during video calls and remember that the mute button is your friend.

Remote work models may be here to stay. Stay connected and compliant by engaging your workforce with frequent and creative communication.

Looking for more innovative ways to help keep employees engaged and compliant? Contact us to use our library of videos to build awareness, retention and understanding for your organizations’ most important E&C policies.

 

CONTACT US!